We asked Becky to take Olivia to see Uncle Ned, David's brother in law who is an ICU nurse. Ned checked her out and thought she was OK but warned Becky to watch for projectile vomiting. (As a side note...after having 3 little boys with major food allergies and gag reflex disorders, we know the difference between vomiting and projectile vomiting :0) I also called my cousin Eric who is a radiology PA. He was on his way to Becky's to check on Olivia and help calm everybody down. After I called Eric, I found David in the prayer service and asked him to start praying. Our friends Phil and Marie prayed with us and called on Jesus to hold our baby girl.
Even as Becky left Ned's, Olivia was inconsolable. She kept crying for me and complaining that her head hurt. As they pulled into Becky's driveway she projectile vomited. The details you probably don't want but yes it bounced off the seats and windows. Pop Pop then joined them and off the ER they went. The next phone call we got was the one that said..."she is vomiting,we are going to the ER". I would like to tell you that I calmly called on the Lord for protection, placed my daughter in His arms and waited. That would be a lie (a really big one, in fact). I panicked, I started crying and the most overwhelming feeling of helplessness swept over me. My daughter was hurt, she wanted me and I was 5 hours away from her. I could not get in the van fast enough. I headed home to pack, David finished up a few things at church and off we went. As we drove, we waited for updates from the hospital. First, the admissions clerk had to verify my permission to treat and get our insurance info. The good news is that a preschooler with a head injury and vomiting goes back really quickly, no hanging around in the waiting room. Becky and Pop Pop called with each bit of info... one nurse, then another, then a resident. All were reassuring that there was no immediate danger and that she looked good. They were waiting on a doc to request a cat scan.
Meanwhile back at the ranch (I have always wanted to say that :), there was a crowd at Becky's. Eric was still there, my sister Kristi and Megan, Beth and the rest of my boys. David's parents were on their way to the hospital. Somehow in crisis, you know how blessed you are by the measure of support you receive. Meanwhile back at the other ranch (didn't really sound good that time :) our friends and church family were on their knees. When we left the church they had an impromptu prayer meeting for our baby girl. So many of our friends were calling to check on us and waiting for updates. We were being surrounded both in the holy land and at home by family and friends.
Olivia was taken to CT for the scan. She was still crying and in a lot of pain. She kept saying "my head hurts so bad, I can't take it anymore". They were a little over half way finished when she cried that she was sick. She sat up and well, let's just say corn kernels hit the far wall. She was hysterical again and Becky held her to calm her down. The CT tech bribed her with a stuffed animal and she agreed to lay back down for the scan. They completed the scan and she got to ride in a green wagon back to her room. Grandma and Grandpa were there waiting on her.
When to doc came back in she said the CT was normal, no swelling, bleeding or fractures. She said Olivia had a concussion but should be fine. She gave Becky a list of symptoms to watch for and instructions for the night.
By the time David and I got to Becky's they were home from the hospital and Olivia was asleep on the couch. I didn't want to wake her but I had to touch her face and hold her. David and I just stared at her and watched her breathe. Even in vomit stained clothes she is the most beautiful little girl in the world. I never imagined that I would be thankful for a concussion, but I am. It could have been so much worse.
Now, 2 days later, Olivia is playing and swimming like her old self. Children are so resilient. Becky and I are still recovering, we spent most of yesterday in a fog of exhaustion, coupled with reeling from the "could have beens". David went home yesterday after he held her and watched her play most of the morning.
29 What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coina]">[a]? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. 30 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
Matthew 10:29-31 (NLT)
How mighty and loving is our God!
1 comment:
So glad your precious little girl is okay!
Post a Comment