This morning was a very important Sunday in our church. Dr. Steve was here to preach in view of a call (for those not in the Southern Baptist world, that means he was here to preach and then the congregation would vote on him as our senior pastor). The days leading up to this morning have been both trying and uplifting. We spent the first part of the week with Joshua in the hospital. He had a respiratory issue that required IV steriods and breathing treatments. It was a difficult few days. Needless to say we were mentally and physically exhausted from that experience. David's parents came in to save the day on Thursday and stayed through weekend. They were here to give breathing treatments and play with grandkids so David and I could be involved in the activities scheduled for Dr. Steve and his family. With all the running around and such, I should be spent. But really I am quite the opposite. I have an excited, renewed spirit. There is an explosion of spiritual energy when you see God's hand at work. That is what I see happening now.
You can probably understand the conversation I needed to have with our kids on the way to church this morning. Alex understood the process and the importance, so he was good to go. The little kids required a little more time. Being a mom, I wanted them to understand what was going on and be on their very best behavior. They listened intently to my explanation of what was happening at church. They nodded in obedience to my instructions to walk calmly beside me. It was my final instruction that got them. "Now, when you meet Pastor Steve I want to say hello very politely". Olivia and Joshua both said yes ma'am. Lucas didn't answer. I could tell his mind was working so I waited for the question he was brewing. "Can I just wave at him?" My answer was of course "No, you need to use your voice and speak clearly so he understands you".
Then it came...everything a 5 yr. old needs in a pastor... "Well, if he is going to be a pastor he ought to know what a wave means." Funny words from a little boy. I am sure our new senior pastor knows how to wave:)
We are all very excited about this new chapter in the life of our church. I pray God will richly bless our church and each of us that worship and serve there.
1 comment:
Haha! Clever little fella, isn't he?
Post a Comment