Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Matter of Taste



Several years ago, a wonderful lady who mentored many many young moms tried to teach me several tricks for limiting my time in the kitchen. I refused to learn simply because I LOVE my time in the kitchen. I love to cook. I rarely follow a strict recipe, I just make it up as I go. In fact, I usually use leftovers to bring new life into the next meal. I love fixing things for my family (though some of their tastes are rather, shall we say...limited). In short, my kitchen is my santuary, my space, my canvas for creativity. Now, I don't expect Alton Brown and Gordon What-ever-his-name-is to come calling about a new Food Network show. I am no Rachael Ray or Paula Dean. I am LeAnn, a lady who loves her family, loves her kitchen and thanks God for both.
So, since I am expecting no great televised outlet for my cooking, I thought I would put some of it on here. Here is my first installment of
A Matter of Taste


Roasted Vegetable Tomato Soup


1 quart garden canned tomatoes (you can use store bought tomato juice or canned tomatoes)


1-2 cups left over grilled or roasted veggies (I used onions, zuchini, squash and green pepper left over from a grill fest for some of our youth. The veggies had salt, pepper, rosemary and EVOO on them when I originally grilled them)


2-3 TBLS butter


2 TBLS flour


1 can beef broth


milk




Puree roasted veggies until smooth (You could chop them very finely but I have a 12 yr old who will not eat "chucks", so I puree). Puree the tomatoes and strain to get rid of the seeds. Set veggies aside. In a heavy stock pot melt butter. When butter is melted, whisk in flour until paste is formed. Stir frequently and let rue cook for a minute or so. Do not let it brown. While whisking, pour in beef broth and tomato juice. Whisk until completely incorporated. Soup will be thick so add mik until desired consistancy (1-2 cups, probably). Add veggies and stir. Let simmer for 15 minutes.


This soup was yummy. Even my picky, taste challenged 12 yr old admitted it was good.

3 comments:

Whitney Lane said...

This looks soo good! We will be trying it! :)

Kelli said...

How fun!! Unfortunately for my husband, I did not inherit the Paula Dean gene from my mom/Geigh. I'm looking forward to stealing some ideas from "A Matter of Taste!"

Betty said...

I love getting new recipes. This sounds very good. Alton Brown and Gordon What-ever-his-name-is just don't realize what they are missing.
Thanks for the recipe, and feel free to share more.

Love Ya