Thursday, December 11, 2008

Conversations...overheard

No pics of this great moment, I didn't want to interrupt the story...
I fixed breakfast for the 3 little kids and turned my back to load the dishwasher. After a few minutes of nibbling and silly conversations about sippee cups, things turned serious. "Suddenwy der wer wots of angels" I stopped to listen, trying not be obvious. "heoor is his bed"..."dis is his piwo"...By this time I had to turn and look. There at my kitchen table was the Christmas story as told by 3 preschoolers and "acted out" by poptarts and breakfast bars (yes, they eat poptarts and breakfast bars...eggs, bacon and pancakes are what Cracker Barrel is for, but I digress). They were more than happy to share their story with me. I heard all about baby Jesus and his bed, all the angels, his mom and dad, the animals and the stars. Poptart pieces (you know the edges that no one eats) were crumbled to make a bed, a big poptart was his pillow, a breakfast bar had been nibbled down to fashion a barn, little crumbs were stars.
In the middle of running around, rehearsals, shopping, parties and all the other busyness of the season, it was a 4 year old and 2 three olds that brought me back to the real reason for season. A simple baby...who changed the world.
What sweet precious moment for me as a mommy. Children are never to young to learn, just ask them!

5 comments:

Julie South said...

Praise the Lord for poptarts, without them, we may have not heard about this story!! Thanks for sharing. This is Joey using Julies account.

Jay Beerley said...

This is such a great story...I'm so glad you shared! Were you in tears afterward?

Maria said...

Not only did that one baby change the world -- those three have changed yours, with Poptarts and breakfast bars. Thank God for Baby Jesus and all babies!!

PhilB said...

What a great story!!! You don't know me...I was just surfing the blogs and starting reading your story.

How wonderful!! Out of the mouth of babies...they really are close to God aren't they.

Peace and joy to you and yours,

Phil Bennett
www.philbennett.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!