Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ode to Football

Alex's football season is just about over, one game left. I have to say this has been a great season. Not that every game has been in the win column. But every game has brought another challenge to face. I am so proud of how Alex has handled himself on the field. And yes, I have completely fought off the urge to yell "Al-Pooh" during the game.
Making a diving catch.The run...

The score...The "oh, yeah...Touchdown"

Catching the snap

Calling the play.

Kicking off

Team Captains meeting on the 50 yr line.
The last game is this coming week. I think I may miss football as much as Alex will. Two years ago we had to force him to finish football camp with the promise he could quit only after camp was over. Long story short...he broke a tooth the last day of camp and he was hooked. Being a girly girl I don't really understand that. David tells me that is a "man thing" :) There is something about this team sport thing. That along with a school that focuses on Jesus Christ as first priority makes for a training ground of strong Christian young men.
So as this season comes to end, I find myself thankful for nasty white pants, stained jerseys, endless molding of mouth guards, long smelly rides home from practices (rides that leave me begging for fresh, unpolluted by sweat, air), long hours spent trying to get out and wondering how on earth a stain is where it is, anxious games watching for my "baby", jumping up to yell for him and his teammates, sitting in the stands with parents just like me... fighting the urge to keep our babies as babies...letting them take on a man's sport, putting them in God's hands and letting Him mold them. Thank you "football" for being an instrument in God's hands.
Oh and tell your cousin, Basketball, I will be the one on the bleachers not yelling "Al-Pooh" :)

2 comments:

NanaWa said...

I love it! just wish he played closer so NanaWa could hollar for him, too!

Betty said...

Glad you had a good season, and that you did not embarrass your young man. Hope basketball will be as good.