On Monday night before Alex's first football game we had special family dinner. I grilled steaks and baked potatoes, two of his favorites. As we ate I fought back tears as I remembered the little boy who used to cover himself and everything around him in spaghetti, the little boy who couldn't quite pronounce "r" or "l" sounds, the little boy who idolized the Crocodile Hunter and Scooby Doo. That little boy filled our hearts and home with joy. Now in front of me was this teenage cool guy who spends more time on his hair than his homework. In less than 24 hours he would take the field as a quarterback for his middle school team. Where did the time go? As we sat at the table I made several promises to him...
Alex, I promise you I will not stand at the fence and yell for you to come give me a hug.
Alex, I promise you I will not stand at the fence and tell your coach what to do.
Alex, I promise you I will not yell "that's my Al-Poo" from the stands.
Alex, I promise you I will not charge the field if another player tackles you a little too hard.
Alex, I promise you I will not run onto the field if you get hurt...unless your coach tells me to :)
Alex, I promise you I WILL be praying for you every time you run onto the field. If you are ever in doubt, remember your mother is praying for you and you are God's child...He will always lead you, strengthen you and hear you when you call on Him.
I loved my sweet little boy. Even more I love the handsome, incredible young man that sits at our table now. I am proud to be your mom, Alex!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautiful Leann!
Post a Comment