Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Comfort Food

You know there are times when you just want comfort food. Those foods are different for each person and in my case the food varies based on the situation. For instance, when I miss my mom it's soup beans, fried potatoes and kraut (don't judge). When I feel sorry for myself its spaghetti and meatballs or meatloaf. When I am overwhelmed with life it is usually pizza or cheeseburgers. You know, a girl has to have variety :)

This weekend brought devastation to Nashville and the surrounding areas. The images are unbelievable and they continue to worsen. If you do not live in middle TN, I am sure you have no idea how bad it really is. The national media has not done it justice. All that said, last night I wanted comfort food on a global scale. My answer, broccoli casserole. Can I tell you it was the most delicious broccoli I have ever eaten. Anticipation and emotions really play into our tastes, don't you agree? It was probably an average casserole but last night it was perfect. :0

I thought I would share my recipe in case any of you need some comfort of the carb loaded, cheese driven variety.



LeAnn's Comfort Broccoli

1 bag frozen broccoli (thawed and chopped into small bite size chunks)

2 cups cooked rice

1 jar cheez whiz

1 cup mayo

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 medium onion (chopped)

1 stalk of celery (chopped)

1 large clove of garlic (grated)

1 stick of butter



Saute onions and celery in butter. When clear, add garlic. Saute another minute and remove from heat. In large bowl combine all other ingredients. Add onion mixture and stir until well combined. Bake in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. I baked it at 375 for around 50 minutes. I like my casseroles a little crusty on the edges and brown on the top.

Anyway, that is it...a little veggies, a lot of calories, even more comfort.

No comments: