...for in You the fatherless find compassion. Hosea 14:3
- There are between 143 million and 210 million orphans worldwide
- Every day 5,760 more children become orphans
- 2,102,400 more children become orphans every year in Africa alone
- Every 15 seconds, another child in Africa becomes an AIDS orphan
- 8 out of 10 children orphaned by AIDS lives in sub-Saharan Africa
- Each year 14, 505, 000 children grow up as orphans and age out of the system by age sixteen
- Each day 38,493 orphans age out
- In Russia and Ukraine, studies have shown that 10% – 15% of these children commit suicide before they reach age eighteen
- These studies also show that 60% of the girls become prostitutes and 70% of the boys become hardened criminals
- Another Russian study reported that of the 15,000 orphans aging out of state-run institutions every year, 10% committed suicide, 5,000 were unemployed, 6,000 were homeless and 3,000 were in prison within three years…
- In the United States there were 463,000 children in the foster care system in 2008. Only 55,000 adoptions were recorded through public agencies that year.
- 500,000 embryos have been frozen and stored since the 1970s. Around 11,000 of those have been designated for research. Only 1,000 babies have been born through embryo adoption in the 10 years it has been available. That means there are hundreds of thousands of babies literally frozen in time, waiting to live.
Frightening statistics aren't they? I found most of them on a UNICEF website along with other agency sites.
If you know us, you know that adoption is very near and dear to our hearts. The scriptures tell us over and over to "care for the orphans". That makes it sound like a "duty" assigned to all Christendom. For us, it was not a duty, it was a dire need. Our hearts and arms were aching for a baby and that was the only way to stop the pain. We didn't see our ourselves as selfless, noble Christians. We were pitiful and desperate. For others it is a call from the Lord to care for His children. To them it is a duty and a calling. Adoption perspectives are different for couples struggling with infertility and couples struggling with a world full of fatherless children. Both perspectives lead to the same ending...children finding homes.
It has been almost 6 years since I received a phone call while on vacation in Hilton Head. A couple of weeks earlier we had agreed for our profile to be sent to a birthmom in Oregon. There were a few details that were unsettling to me but still it was a chance at a baby, so we took it. Knowing we were across the country from her, I never really expected to hear anything else from our agency in regards to her. Then there was the day of the phone call. We were vacationing with David's sister and her family. Most everyone had gone ahead to the beach. David's sister, Mary Nell and I were left behind...truth is we probably went shopping in the morning and they didn't want to join us :) As we were about to leave the villa, my cell phone rang. On the other end was our Bethany adoptive parent counselor. She informed me that we had been chosen by the birthmom in Oregon. Now, if you have ever been in the waiting process for adopting, you know the level of anxiety that exists about receiving "the" call. We all live for that ring, that voice that says "you have been chosen". We had heard that same phrase a year earlier only to have our hearts crushed by a failed adoption. So when I heard those words this time, I really didn't react. I think I explained we were on vacation, asked what the next step was and politely thanked Bethany. I hung up thinking I should really be excited but telling myself don't be excited, this is too good to be true, this will never really happen. My sister in law could see the change in my spirit and asked what happened. I remember telling her "we were chosen". She was so excited, I was rather numb. As she and I made our way to the beach, I tried to explain what I was feeling. I found David on the beach and told him about the call. He was excited, but just as hesitant as me. As the week ended we prayed with our families in the parking lot as we were going our separate ways. I remember Mary Nell praying for us and this baby girl. She prayed for our wisdom and strength and for health and safety for the baby. We drove home excited but guarded. In the coming weeks we would find out more details and speak with the birth grandmother on the phone. There were details that were bothersome and concerning. There were details that were exciting and too good to be true. In the end, we were given a peace that passed our understanding. On August 14 we received the next highly anticipated phone call...she was in labor. We flew to Oregon the next day and held our baby girl 6 hours after she entered the world. The flight was filled with joy and anticipation. God had replaced anxiety and worry with peace and love. I knew this time was what we had been waiting on, this time we would be leaving the hospital with a baby. And we did. One day later we left the hospital with Olivia Ann. It was a glorious event!
(Domestic Adoption)
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
James 1:27
Father to the fatherless, defender of widows — this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families.
Psalms 68:5-6
2 comments:
So beautiful and it came at a time I'm bewildered at what could lead a mom to "return" her child. Thank you for sharing our sweet E. on your blog. Olivia is such a beauty!!
Thank you for sharing this!! I can't wait to join the ranks of the adoptive parenting world! Love you!
Post a Comment